Rob_ct

Earthworm Tea contain beneficial bacteria?

Thanks for all the information I previously received about earthworm farming, I have now have a whole lot of red wrigglers and a little earthworm hotel;)

What I want to know is, does the earthworm tea (the juice that flows from the bottom of the container) contain the same beneficial bacteria as that found in compost tea (are they essentially the same thing?)

My next question is related to Bonsai. In all my reading, I have read that it is bad to fertilize a plant within a month after repotting. But I was thinking, is compost tea/earthworm tea really that bad in the first few weeks after repotting? Because if it has the beneficial bacteria, and these will promote root growth, especially in bare-rooted trees, correct?

I am also in the process of creating a new earthworm hotel, except this one will be kelp(seaweed) based because we don't always have enough vegetable/fruit scraps for the worms. Natuarally, I'll make sure the seaweed is rinsed free of salt, and chopped up for the worms. Would this make a good/nutrient rich tea?

What is an optimal dilution of earthworm tea? 4:1? 10:1?

Thanks
Rob

Rob_ct

I went ahead and made my new earthworm hotel, except using purely seaweed as the "main course". The type of seaweed I used was kelp found in my area. I rinsed is clean of salt, and chopped it up. I then added it all to the new worm hotel.

I left it for a day, and upon close inspection I noticed the worms had all crept into the corners to avoid the seaweed.

This could have been because the seaweed was a bad type that worms don't like OR it was purely seaweed and nothing else OR it was still a little salty.

My advice is to check that the worms like the seaweed beforehand (adding a piece or 2 to their meal and seeing if they eat it), and maybe don't go for the extreme of only 1 meal (it may upset the guests).

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Good to know Rob!! Thanks for keeping us informed. :wink:

Also in response to your previous post, the only part I can respond to is about the earthworm tea. Yes, it is excellent for your garden/plants!! It is not the same as compost tea, but probably more like manure tea. To use it I would probably use the ratio of 9:1. :wink:
Sorry I can't answer the rest for you. Maybe someone else knows more about the rest?.................

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, seaweed makes wonderful compost. It's great stuff. Make sure to add some browns as well. Kelp is green.

The tea that you recieve from the bottom of your vermiculture bin is essentially compost tea.

I'll let scott answer the bonsai question.

Rob_ct

Thanks Val, 9:1 sounds good.

Another question that I am keen to know is whether one should use earthworm tea to water bonsai/plants in winter( baring in mind that I experience a very mild winter). I was thinking that maybe it could be used at a very light dilution? like 20:1?

Thanks for your input.
Rob

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Are these indoor or outdoor bonsai? I am assuming outdoor. Normally one wouldn't fertilize (which is what earthworm tea does)during the winter, because it encourages growth. It probably would be okay to give them a very weak solution though, as you have suggested.

You can also water any of your other plants indoor or outdoor with your earthworm tea - they love it! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Though, around about this time, the trees should be coming out of dormancy so....

Also, organic fertilizers can build up in soils and not harm plants like synthetic ferilizers do (which, is what happens if you fertilize your tree with a synthetic ferrtilizer in the winter). But, if you make the mistake of fertilzing with an organic fertilizer, the fertilizer will build up but, will not harm the plant.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”