petalfuzz
Green Thumb

seed ball update

After being inspired by Applestar last fall, I made a bunch of seedballs for my parents. I threw them out in the adjoining field in early spring and now there are 4 poppy flowers and a bunch of arugula that has already gone to seed. There may have been more plants but the land owner mowed--grr--and cut off a bunch of plants. Oh, well. If I do it again I'll put them in a different place so they won't get mowed. But my mom was really excited by the tiny spot of pink and orange flowers in her view ;) I hope they drop seeds so the process can continue!

hazelnut
Newly Registered

There does not seem to be much activity in the Permaculture Forum.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It comes and goes...right now most of us are working outdoors in the garden (in addition to jobs, house, etc.) so Permaculture has been slow. Last fall there was lots of talk, some in the winter...it'll probably pick up again in the fall.

Giving you a chance to read through whatever you like here at The Helpful Gardener and not worry about getting too far behind! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

lots more folks identify themselves as 'gardeners' than 'permaculturists' too. I reckon there's a fair number of people on this site who stay fairly forum-specific.

on a somewhat-permaculture and not-exactly plant-related note, we inoculated 16 shiitake logs from a storm-damaged oak tree that was recently taken down this past weekend, and are using some of our used coffee grounds to grow oyster mushrooms...

applestar
Mod

I think of myself as pursuing permaculture concepts. Once you get into workshops and specifics, it sort of loses its charm for me. :roll: I suspect that more people are doing things that fall under "permaculture" per se, than they realize. For me, becoming acquainted with permaculture gelled some ideas that I had been individually considering: Organic Gardening, Edible Landscaping, Self Sustainable way of living, Gardening for Wildlife, Native Plants and Local Eco-systems --> Plant Communities, etc.

If you're interested in Permaculture, there are TONS of information here even if activity level is low. People tend to post thoughtful and thought provoking dsicussions when they do. PLENTY to keep you reading for a good while. It takes a while, actually, because there are so many fantastic ideas, and, if you're like me, you'll jump up and want to try it out in your garden, then it'll be a while before you'll have time to sit in front of the 'puter and peruse. :wink:

So, petalfuzz, it sounds like your seedballs were a success! Mine are popping up here and there with flowers and vegetables. Of course, the kids and I just tossed the seedballs around the garden, with no record keeping in mind, so everything is a pleasurable surprise. :D Just the other day, I was peering into the shrubbery trying to figure out what was growing there, and it turned out to be some kind of a bean! :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

No seedball success here. I need to revisit my "creating a seedball" process. I made just a couple of small ones last year and lodged them on my own soil. Nothing grew, but it was a very small pilot test.

Will regular mud work, or does it need to be "official" clay? Mine used regular mud.

The lot down the street I'd like to seedball-plant is so covered with junk (physical junk, not plants) that the chances of a given seedball contacting the ground are pretty small, so...

...I'll need to make lots of them! :D The lot is absolutely covered with Yellow Star Thistle, sow thistle, and Bermuda grass, so far as I can tell from the property line (fenced).

100 seeds total, I hope. I know for a fact that I don't have 100 species of seeds here, nor would commercially available seeds of native or native-adapted plants come anywhere near 100.

Maybe "Sustainability" vice Permaculture? *That* would for sure get lots of interest!

Cynthia H.

2cents
Green Thumb

Why would anyone,
litter or tresspass on another person's property rights ?

Please think about this folks ?

applestar
Mod

2¢ - did you see these articles I posted before? Also, the prior seedball thread will clue you in Re: what petalfuzz and cynthia_h are talking about:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10862

Cynthia, I used subsoil green marl clay from my yard. I came across a couple of on_line videos and Fukuoka-san was particular about kneading the clay well until elastic. I believe, actually, that volcanic clay, such as you would probably have, is supposed to be more nutritious and better for seedballs.

I keep forgetting about carrots and spinach! I actually have no trouble growing carrots, but I have yet another berry container of spinach that are refusing to sprout! Thanks for the reminder. :wink: I have 4 or 5 3 gal pots of subsoil clay that I'm saving for making a natural clay-bottom pond (turns out Marl clay is particularly suited for this) I guess I'll have to raid it for making some seedballs. 8)

cherlynn
Cool Member

Hi All,

Unfortunately I never even made my seed balls :( this season...however, there is always this fall for next spring!

I did want to share an interesting article, from yesterday's Hartford Courant, with all of you... :)

https://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-new-haven-guerrilla-gardenin.artjul13,0,6883898.story

ENJOY!

:)

Diane
Green Thumb

2cents wrote:Why would anyone,
litter or tresspass on another person's property rights ?

Please think about this folks ?
If weeds can grow why not nice plants?
Here, owners are fined if they don't take care of empty lots that just fill up with weeds and trash.
The city will clean it and send the owners a bill.
I wouldn't want a trashy looking area near me. I would much prefer pretty flowers.

Diane
Green Thumb

cherlynn wrote:Hi All,

Unfortunately I never even made my seed balls :( this season...however, there is always this fall for next spring!

I did want to share an interesting article, from yesterday's Hartford Courant, with all of you... :)

https://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-new-haven-guerrilla-gardenin.artjul13,0,6883898.story

ENJOY!

:)
Great article! I love this idea and I've done it. :lol:
Why not beautify ugly unkempt spaces?

kimbledawn

Everyday that I come here I learn something new and you guys give me renewed hope that I am not the only one hoping and striving for a new earth. It feels so good to know that if enough of us actually want it and work on it we can improve the environment! :D

Diane
Green Thumb

kimbledawn wrote:Everyday that I come here I learn something new and you guys give me renewed hope that I am not the only one hoping and striving for a new earth. It feels so good to know that if enough of us actually want it and work on it we can improve the environment! :D
Beautiful thought. I feel the same way.
It's so nice to connect with people who feel like we do.
People who want to nurture the earth. Our home.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”