cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You know how you can read something many times but not REALLY see what's there until the Nth time???

That just happened to me.

There I was, looking through the Introduction ("Building Soil, Building the Future") to John Jeavons' How to Grow More Vegetables... (7th ed.), when it jumped out at me on page xiv:

"Agriculture in the future will probably be a synthesis, a sustainable collage, of:

‣ Grow Biointensive(tm) mini-farming
‣ Agroforestry
‣ No-till Fukuoka food raising
‣ Traditional Asian blue-green algal wet rice farming
‣ Natural rainfall "arid" farming
‣ Indigenous farming...."

I just about dropped the spoon back into the chili when I saw that one!

Clearly, I hadn't looked through this Introduction in the past couple of months. I usually get fixated on Jeavons' Chapter 4: Compost, and just sort of let the rest of the book go...but not tonight.

Yipes. Last night was the second full moon since O-Bon. *Something* made me read that Introduction....

Cynthia

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What *is* it with these full moons? I think we're an evening, maybe two, shy of the Hunter's Moon???

Saturday afternoon I checked out a copy of The One-Straw Revolution on interlibrary loan.

Last night I opened it.

Two hours later, I closed it.

Not finished, but just had to get some stuff ready for going in to my client's offices this week.

What a teacher, philosopher, aikido master (combining his energy with that of the earth to produce a greater flow), grower, and sensei.

Arigato gozaimashita, Fukuoka sensei.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Timlin

I'm going to find One Straw Revolution and read it but if I might?

Another very good book, one that taught me sooo much as I was learning to garden is "The Joy of Gardening" by Dick Raymond.

He expanded my understanding of gardening and I tried so many of his ideas it made gardening an adventure for me.

I still plant my early things, peas, lettuce that sort of thing weeks before anyone else in my area is planting. I always get this frowning reaction as they tell me it makes no sense but I'm always eating fresh produce weeks before they are too!

His green manure ideas were not anything I had understood before reading this book. At one point DH and I had a disagreement about how to get an area ready for lawn. Finally we split the area, he did his side his way and I did my side Dick Raymond's way. We never disagreed after that. DH decided to go Dick Raymond's way too!! :)

If you can find this book its a great read.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Beginning in August 2010, the forum hosted a directed group discussion of Fukuoka-sensei's book. The various threads, generally one to a chapter (but not always), can be found [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=46]here[/url].

Cynthia

Return to “Permaculture Forum”