HollyS1375
Newly Registered

Hydrangea: propagation to bloom?

We have a large yard in southern New England, and over the last 2 yrs I have purchased/received about 35 different Hydrangeas - mostly from catalog, but a few from local garden centers and some transplanted from friends in the area - to adorn the front yard and the 77 fence panels that border the back yard. Types vary from Pee Gee, Annabelle, Nikko blue, Purple Passion, Raspberry Parfait, Forever Pink, etc.... 80% were 2" propagations when planted.
All successfully rooted, have come back each year and most are 2-3' tall with lush foliage. Soil and light conditions around the yard vary as much as the species planted - from sandy to humus rich, total shade to full sun, morning to afternoon sun with variances in between. I have added compost & mulched, especially to those sitting in sandy soil.
So far only the Pee Gee (scattered throughout the yard) have bloomed, which were just planted this past fall. This others, planted 2 yrs ago, have not bloomed. There is new growth from the ground, but definitely growth on last years wood too. I'm perplexed - none of the typical reasons for not blooming seem to apply. How long before successfully propagated plants bloom? What should I be doing to promote blooms?

lilthings

Hi, I am trying to do the same thing and asked a question about rooting in water, I just pruned a very large Mophead and am trying to root in water, hope it works. Daughter just bought a house with 1/2 acra and is taking plants and trees from my yard, to clean out my yard and build up hers. A bunch of Mopheads would make a beautiful fence line. Hope I can do this. We are in zone 7.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”