midwestdad
Newly Registered

Hydrangea Tree Help Needed

I recently (within the last week or so) planted a Hydrangea tree as an ornamental addition to my front yard landscaping. During the transplant and after I watered the plant vigorously, and have kept a close eye on the soil moisture to make sure it stays moist until the tree is well established. The tree seems to be fairly helathy, but I have noticed dead leaves surrounding the tree and some wilting in the lower canopy. On closer inspection, it seems I have a number of leaves wilting, and it is accompanied by some browning of the edges of the leaves as well. The shrubs that were planted nearby at the same time are all fourishing well with no similar signs of distress. I am hopeful you can give me some advice to help the plant flourish, it really is a beautiful addition to the landscaping in the front yard, and I'd hate to lose it. Here are some pics of the tree overall, as well as a closeup of one of the wilting leaves. Thanks so much in advance!

https://tinypic.com/azdhqh.jpg

https://tinypic.com/azdkba.jpg

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There is little to go on here; I see very little wrong here other than a little bronzing. That's probably a bit of transplant shock and a little getting used to the new light requirements. Don't worry yet; just keep it well watered (an inch or two a week, including rain), and your tree will do just fine.

Above all else, DON'T PANIC! :D

Scott

midwestdad
Newly Registered

Wow, talk about a quick response. :)

I appreciate the input; I wan't sure whether transplanting shock could be a factor, but I have had a few bad exeirences with flowering shrubs in the front yard (mostly due to too much sunlight), and if there was a problem, I wanted to stave it off before it became terminal - particularly if it were something fungal. I had a pile of maybe 30-40 leaves which seemed like an awful lot of loss to me, considering the size of the tree.

In any case, I am so glad to have found these forums, as there are a number of questions I've had that have been answered perusing the various topics. This is great!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”