dqlts
Newly Registered

Help for New Hydrangea

A year ago in July, I was given a beautiful fuschia color hydrangea. It came from a local flower shop and when it was delivered, they told me I would be able to plant it outside. I live in mid Missouri. As the summer went on, the plant looked like it croaked. This spring, only about two inches of leaves came up. It's been that way all summer. Is there something special I need to do to help it survive through the coming winter?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would personally recommend ammending the soil where it is planted. Dig a trench around the roots and place mulched up leaves in the trench with some manure or grass clippings. Then, place mulched up leaves on the surface of the soil surrounding the plant and cover them with some manure. But, don't let the leaves touch the stem of your Hydrangea.

This will provide some insulation from the cold this winter and also, as the leaves and manure break down, they will provide your plant with nutrients.

Next spring, your plant will most likely go nuts with growth.

Incidentally, apple and maple leaves are the best to use but, use whatever you have. (Go over the leaves with your lawnmower before applying them to the plant)

Good luck!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Does sound like a fertility issue, with a side order of water problems. Opa's solution should take care of both those issues (and the decomposing elements will offer a bit of root heat to top it off...)

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, decomposed (ing) leaves will hold between 300 and 500 percent of their mass in water. So, you will have to water less often. When you do water your plant, give it a long deep watering for about an hour or more maybe once a week. Just dig around in the soil surrounding the plant to see if it needs water.

Also, if you throw a little kelp meal in with the leaves that you bury, the plant will recieve all the micronutrients that it will need. (If you don't have access to kelp meal, the leaves will provide micronutrients as well but, the kelp meal will be a bonus)

dqlts
Newly Registered

Thanks to Opa and Scott for the helpful reply. I will try your suggestions and will let you know next spring how I turned out.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Welcome! Let us know how it turns out...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Not a problem. I look forward to hearing how your hydrangea does. :)

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”