angel
Newly Registered

Peegee white flowers turned green, leaves turning yellow

We bought our "tree" form hydrangea three weeks ago. We water twice a day in mostly sun. A week later our white blossoms turned a fairly deep shade of green. Two weeks later the leaves were a little droopy for about a day on a very hot day. A few days later the bottom leaves of each branch turned pale to lemon yellow and are progressively turning yellow up the branch.
Now the yellow leaves are turning brown and the green leaves are starting to brown on the tips edges and underside.

Please, could you tell me why my flowers are green (they are supposed to fade to a pink) and what is causing the yellow leaves? I am afraid I am going to lose our pretty plant.

Some help would greatly be appreciated,
Angel

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, as far as the colour of your flowers is concerned: Flower colour in Hydrangea's is based on soil pH so, I'm guessing that you need to tinker with that.

Watering twice daily seems like a bit much. You may be overwatering your plant. Give it a nice deep watering at maximum every other day. Every few days would be better. The best thing to do would be do dig in the soil around the plant a bit, and see how damp it is and water accordingly.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I know you folks are going through some beastly hot and drys, but I'm with Opa; I think you are killing with kindness.

Water once a week for an hour or so; much better for the plant as it will stretch those new roots to find more water. Right now it's just sitting in a puddle... :(

Scott

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”