lauramart
Newly Registered

My hydrangea is falling and can't get up!

Could somebody please help me.

I moved to a new house in December and in March I trimmed back the hydrangea. Up until a week ago I have had a beautiful bushy hydrangea, but all of a sudden it is spreading out like some big animal has walked into the middle of it and pushed all the branches outwards.

It does have big blue flowers all over it, but now that it is falling over, they are turning brown and wilty and drying up. Some of the leaves have turned yellow and wilted. How can I restore this to the bushy plant it once was? I have cut some of the blossoms off as close to the blossom as possible.

How often should I be watering? I am in southwestern BC, Canada, and we have had two and a half weeks of straight sun. The plant wuold definitely not be used to this. Do I water in morning or at night?

Please help - it is the most beautiful shade of blue hydrangea that I have ever seen.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

As to the watering it is most definitely the problem and yes, water morn AND night (the hydra in Hydrangea is Greek for water and it likes lots...).

Those flowers are probably what's pulling the heads down, so staking or hooping is in order, and they are going brown because of their passing more than anything; dead head them as they go by...

Scott

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”