alamahara

Rate of growth in regards to Hydrangeas?

I have had Hydrangeas planted for about 4 years in my front garden. When I planted them they were about 6 inches in hight and now (4 years later) only go up to my knees...and I'm not very tall! hehe Also they only got one 'poof ball' of flowers starting last year. The plant itself looks great, healthy, and abundant.

Firstly...is this normal?

Second...can I easily transplant them to a more suitable location AND when is the best time to do it?

Third...what special soil or nutritional additive should I be looking into purchasing with the hopes of some better growth.

Thank you for your input!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Alamahara,

Unfortunately you don't say if you amended the soil when you planted them, what you might have amended with and what type of soil you have. That would be helpful to know. Adding compost to the planting bed and mixing it in will help your plants.
...now (4 years later) only go up to my knees...and I'm not very tall! hehe Also they only got one 'poof ball' of flowers starting last year. ...is this normal?
It could be depending on which [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/hydrangea/2003/]hydrangea[/url] you planted. Some are dwarf. If these were 'florist hydrangeas' that could explain their lack of growth as well.

If they aren't getting enough sun that could explain the lack of blooms. Pruning at the wrong time could also be the reason.

...can I easily transplant them to a more suitable location AND when is the best time to do it?
You certainly can. The best time is when they are dormant, so in fall after they drop their leaves or early spring before they leaf out.

...what special soil or nutritional additive should I be looking into purchasing with the hopes of some better growth.
Compost, compost and more compost.

Newt

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”