tbud
Newly Registered

How to grow Limelights and Endless Summer Hydrangeas

Hi! New to gardening and need some help. My husband and I stripped our entire property of all shrubs/flowers/etc and are starting from scratch (The previous home owner badly neglected everything). We love Hydrangeas and bought several Limelights and Endless Summer but have not been able to find much info on them.

It seems they are new varieties? Want to plant the Limelights in the Northeast corner of the house but there is minimal protection from wind. Some varieties listed this as a problem. Is this the case with Limelight?

Also, how long would it take for one plant to become 6-8'? Now they are approx 1 1/2' tall. We are considering planting 3 plants in a cluster to eventually fill in this space. Good or bad idea?
We'd appreciate any input!
Thanks, tbud

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

'Limelight' is a panicle hydrangea (H. paniculata) and a quick grower; it should hit full height in 5 or 6 years. 'Endless Summer' is a big leaf hydrangea (H. macrophylla) and won't get that big (it's a selection on 'Nikko Blue', known for being a bit smaller, 3-4' x 3-4', so I'd assume a like habit). You're correct about these being newer plants, hence the lack of info.

As for your location, the panicle type shouldn't be a big problem, but H. macrophylla is a thirsty beast and a windy situation will leave it flopping like a fish out of water (the wind will wick away moisture from the leaves, increasing transpiration, and an already thirsty plant will dehydrate quickly). Unless you can plant some kind windbreak or otherwise shelter those 'Endless Summers', I suspect you'll find them prostrate much of the time (unless you provide copious irrigation; a timer would help out there). If the winds are really heavy, the stems on H. macrophylla are hollow and semi-succulent when new, and high winds could snap heavy flower heads off; yet another consideration. The panicles are good for that NE corner; I'd site the macrophyllas on the south side in a moisture retentive soil with good protection and enjoy the show!

Have a great holiday

Scott

tbud
Newly Registered

Thanks for your help, Scott!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's what I'm here for...

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”