wendyemerson
Newly Registered

help with Hydrangea

I was given a Hydrangea for a gift and everyone keeps telling me that you are supposed to plant them on a certain side of your house but no one can remember what side. Can someone please help? My house faces the West and I don't want to plant it in the wrong place

petiole
Newly Registered

If this is a Hydrangea macrophylla - the mop head type- they don't like hot afternoon sun. Morning sun and afternoon shade are best. They will grow in full sun but they wilt terribly in the afternoon sun. Recovery is quick though, as soon as the sun passes as long as the plant has sufficient moisture. If this is any other type of hydrangea please post the name as they all have dfferent rquirements. I'm talking about the other hydrangeas such as the paniculatas (Pee Gee) or the quercifilias (Oak Leaf) or the arborescens (Smooth Hydrangea) . With proper sighting any hydrangea is a gift that you can enjoy for years to come. :D

wendyemerson
Newly Registered

I think it looks like a mop head but not sure what it is. It didn't have a tag on it when I recieved it

petiole
Newly Registered

OK. The other possibility here is that this is a "Florists Hydrangea" a type of mop head that is green house grown specifically with big blooms showing as a gift plant and sold in grocery store floral deparments or florist's shops. Few of them do well when planted outdoors. But, because of the warm zone in which you are located, it's possible it might grow fine for you. Treat it like a mop head. Give it a place with morning sun and afternooon shade. Do not prune, unless absolutely necessary and then only immediately after flowering. Mop heads flower on old wood. If the old wood is pruned off or killed off by a winter freeze the flower buds for next year are gone. If you can, also pick a sight that will allow for the ample moisture that hydrangeas need but that is also well drained. Keep it well mulched and don't allow grass to grow around the plant roots. Not knowing exactly what kind of hydrangea you have makes it a little risky but that's the best cultural advice for all mop heads. I hope you can still have some fun with this plant even though it might sound like a lot of trouble. Getting it off to a good start is the most important thing. If you do find out it's another type of hydrangea alltogether let me know. :D

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”