TheNewGardenOwner
Newly Registered

Can anyone help me identify this beauty?

I have fallen deeply in love, but it is the desperate unhappy love, as I do not know the name of my hearts desire 🥰

Isn't she a georgeous thing? 😍
Attachments
184425759_2798059560505241_3449187031451523366_n (1).jpg

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Very nice and welcome to HelpfulGardener. I am not good at identifying cultivars as there are so many that look too much alike but here are a few questions. Where are you located (not your address but your city, country). It seems to be somewhere in the southern hemisphere. Can you confirm if it is a hydrangea that is producing mophead-like forms of blooms (the picture was a little far away from the blooms to tell for sure)? Or is it a lacecap form of bloom? If you can tell the difference, that is.

I suspect it is a variety of hydrangea macrophylla or hydrangea serrata that produces double sepals with green stems and with a few lenticels. Hydrangea macrophylla examples are Forever & Ever Together, Forever & Ever Peace, Love, Doublicious or Double Delights Perfection. Most of serratas produce lacecap blooms but the blooms in the picture do not appear to be lacecaps so I did not list any of those.

The plant in the picture appears to start blooms with a shade of pink and then, as they age, they turn sandy colors. The care for it would be like that of any other macrophylla. These types are easily propagated via cuttings or by ground layering. Request a cutting if possible: https://plantaddicts.com/propagating-hydrangeas/

TheNewGardenOwner
Newly Registered

Dear Luis,

Thank you for your extensive feedback.
I regret to say, that it is a picture I found online, with no chance of getting a better view, and therefore there will also be no help from informing of my location (Denmark, by the way).

I think it kind of looks like there might be a hint of lacecap (I looked it up 🤭) and I actually also think it might be some kind of mix, as the petals seem to have different shape, the pink and the sand/yellow ones? But that might just be the angle of the petals vs the camera. 😁

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Others to consider: Hydrangea Serrata Miyama Yae Murasaki, Fuji Waterfall, Shiro Tae, Shirofuji, Komacha, Corsage, Midoriboshi Temari, Izu No Hana, and the Tuff Series which includes Tiny Stuff, Tiny Tuff Stuff, Tiny Stuff Ah-Ha, Tuff Stuff and Tuff Stuff Red.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”