Shira
Newly Registered

Hydrangea care HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!

I bought 6 potted hydrangeas for my landscaper to put in my front lawn. They were looking good yesterday, but I noticed they were a bit dry so I watered them...well, by this morning they were looking rather wilted, so I moved them into the sun and then watered them copiously. Well, now they are totally droopy and look SAD!! What do I do until they are in the ground? HELP ASAP!!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm not an expert on Hydrangeas but, I have noticed that when I bring plants home and plant them that they are a little droopy. Don't over water your plants or the roots won't be able to breathe. I am guessing that is why they look even more droopy now.

I would personally just keep the soil moist and let the plants do their thing. I'm pretty sure that they will be okay, all of my "droopy plants" always have been. Maybe someone else has something to offer.

pandoras_box
Newly Registered

Most hydrangeas prefer to be in the shade, although there are some types that will tolerate sun. Have you checked to see which your hydrangeas prefer? They will also 'droop' when in the sun to preserve moisture, my Lady in Red does this when it is in the sun and then when it is shady again it stands upright again.

JPIXI

I used to have the same problem. I have noticed Hydrangea is very sensitive to new environment. I did a mistake by watering at wrong time, evening, when they have their roots soak in water. The next day, I had spear a few holes into the soil and to loosen the tight soil, to help the drain off the access moisture in the morning. The plant regain its health the very day.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Don't worry about sitting in a little water; the plant's name comes from the Greek for water. It's the sun that's whacking those new plants (that and the fact they are juiced from too much nitrogen and perfect conditions in the greenhouse... :( )

Scott

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”