mach1cj

Limelight Hydrangeas in Bloom - OK to Cut Them Back?

Hi, I'm in zone 6, northern Ohio and I have 3 big lime lights. They are in full bloom now and mostly drooped over.

I would like to cut them back to about 2'-2.5' right now because I have contractors coming to install new siding. I know they bloom on new wood but I don't know whether or not this is a good time to do it.

It would be very difficult to install siding as they are really close to the house. thanks for any help.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, mach1cj. Hmmm, you have an interesting problem. Right now (September 13), for example, in northern Akron, you would be almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from May 19 through September 27. If work begins after Sept 27, there is some risk due to early frosts/freezes. The risk increases more in October. Here are some frost and freezes stats (for Akron at the least): https://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-f ... hp?q=44313

The reason for checking for frost/freezes is that, if you prune any plant, it will react by going into "grow" mode. So, my concern is that Limelight may be trying to "grow" at a time that it should be shutting down/hardening in preparation for winter. Now, minor dips into the low 30s and upper 20s are ok. They help brown out the leaves (and any blooms that are still green/pink). But an unusual and very cold snap on a Limelight that is in "grow" mode is another story. Remember that any/all of the shrubs may decide to be in "grow" mode well after the work has been completed.

Since this type of work is something that must be accomplished, I agree with your plans to do the siding work nonetheless. If there is any type of chance of veeery cold weather while they are installing siding or afterwards (when the Limelights are still not dormant), (a) make sure that Limelights have 2-4" of organic mulch and (b) water them deeply the night before any big drops much below freezing.

There could be some winter damage that will not be obvious after leaf out in Spring... sometimes as late as early Summer so, next year, keep an eye on the shrubs from Spring thru early Summer. Look for unexplained stem and leaf die-backs.

Could there be a chance of plant death? I suppose that could also happen, especially with young plants and-or a truly cold winter snap. But on the plus side, these sound like old, established hydrangeas. And you are not harming the roots. Oh, tell the worker bees to watch out when walking near the hydrangeas and their roots. Hopefully, at worst, all or some stems might die but a healthy, vigorous Limelight should hopefully replace them in 2020.

Weather.com currently forecasts for your general area near or slightly below average temperatures for the months of October thru December: https://weather.com/forecast/national/n ... utlook-wsi That is good news but, remain on the lookout for any big dips below freezing before the three Limelights revert to dormancy.

Do not try to fertilize them now, even if there is a problem. They typically only need one application of fertilizer in Spring when new. Then they feed off decomposing mulch. Fertilizing now would increase the nitrogen in the soil and, depending on how much there is, the nitrogen might delay the plant from going dormant too.

Signs of dormancy: blooms begin their color changes and end brown; leaves brown out; the stems (especially the green ones) show some color changes as they harden off.

I would not worry about those early but rare snows in October much, as they might nudge the Limelights into dormancy. I am talking about snows you get in rare times early, not the ones you get in December-ish, when the snow sticks for the rest of the year. Just make sure they have mulch and some water in really cold dips (note - do not water if the soil has frozen). Should there be some huge cold weather event from the arctic while the are still "awake", you can always do what people with mopheads do: put some winter protection and cover them with mulch this year only.

Good luck and feel free to post again if you have any problems. Hope the workers do good work on the siding,
Luis

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”