luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Heavy rains in DFW Area

We had about 8" of rain overnight. If anyone in the area has hydrangeas (or other plants), they got a great soaking but it is not good since we have been getting "too much" water for the last 2-3 weeks.

Near noon today, we are getting a break so use it to check all the shrubbery and see if water is pooling in the area, etc.

Some plants in pots may need to be drained manually before rains restart again; get help with big pots and turn them sideways if you want them to drain before the rains start again. Smaller ones that appear saturated may be left alone if they area draning or you could consider removing the shrub out to drain faster if exposed to the wind and the little shade/sun that pops now and then. Just remember to put the plant back in the pots in a few hours. Consider if the potting soil needs to be replaced should you notice it water logged but leave that for another day. Consider moving the pots to a more protected location too but bring it back if this location had been working out as these rain events are temporary.

Paniculatas, Annabelles, Invincibelles, and cousins may be flopped. Consider in the future using 18" small fences to prop them up. Ditto for other plants who bent due to the rain or the winds. I had to turn over some large pots with ficus plants because the potting soil is not draining fast due to the 8" and probably the p/s needs to be replaced but that was supposed to happen later in the Fall. Ha!

Oakleaf hydrangeas will flop some, but the thing to keep in mind with oakleaf hydrangeas is that their roots can quickly develop root rot quickly if the roots remain under water for a "long enough time".

Hydrangeas in wet soil may experience temporary signs of iron chlorosis because the water in the soil makes it difficult for roots to absorb iron so, the symptom on leaves looks like "regular" iron chlorosis symptoms. Lack of oxygen due too much water in the roots/soil can also cause some leaves to yellow out. If the wet root conditions continue for too long, root rot may occur.

Plants in the ground... you could temporarily remove the mulch so the moisture evaporates faster. Just remember to put the mulch back. Later on, consider calling a landscape company if water puddles for long periods of time in certain areas. If you have any of these large water puddles, you may have to "help" the water move; carefully, use a broom if there are plants underwater or just let them be.

Expect wild mushroom growth to develop or continue developing in some areas.

Areas with lots of rain can be hazardous. You could slip while walking on grass whose soil is very wet so be careful. In roads where there is a lot of oil, you car may spin the wheels so start driving more slowly than usual.

It is supposed to start raining again later in the afternoon. Stay safe. A Flash Flood warning was in effect and a River Flood Warning is now in effect.

If someone wants to chime in with other things people can do in similar scenarios of lots of water/rain/etc, please add your comments!
Last edited by luis_pr on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

I hope you and your garden get through this safely, as well. Thanks for the great tips. Even though I don’t live in the immediate area, in the past I have wondered about some of the very potted plant and flooded plant solutions you explained in detail. I’m going to remember this and make use of the info in the future.

I hope everyone else will be OK, too. Good luck!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”