Katie_89

Bringing my girls back to life

Hello!!
Had to hunt this forum down from last year to get some help!
Long story short, cut back my hydrangeas, stored them in the garage (non heated) for the winter and brought them back out about a month ago. The one is sort of budding but the other not all much.
Wondering what can I do to get them going?? My neighbor suggested moving them to a more sunny spot until they start to bloom

Will try to post a picture

Katie_89

20180520_190351.jpg

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, Katie. I would keep this one well watered so the soil is evenly moist at all times. Not wet but moist at all times.

I would give it some morning sun exposure as your neighbor suggested. My afternoon sun is starting to get way above 85 so I would keep it away of warm afternoon & evening suns. Not sure where you are and how warm your afternoon is.

Any stems that show no growth by the end of May can be pruned all the way down. They were either killed by the cold weather or lack of moisture (hard to tell which, which is why I try to water in the winter... not sure if your winters are too cold for that though... if yes, maybe you can water once the soil thaws and temps are above freezing in the day time).

Luis

rolayla

Had the same problem on my hydrangea plant. I bought it from Orchid Republic Los Angeles last year. I removed the dead branches last Spring. I suggest not to do it in Fall because there's a risk of fungal diseases due to the dampness of the weather. Aside from keeping the soil moist, hydrangeas like acidic soil so test it. If your soil is indeed alkaline, you can add aluminum phosphate or sulphur.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”