brian

will hydrangea grow in partial shade

I have a trellis on the front of my house and it faces north so it doesn't get a lot of direct sun. I have been trying to find something that will climb the trellis and be flowering. There is also a dogwood and two cedars in close proximity to where the trellis is located so that might affect the soil , I don't know I am a rookie. Any suggestions for a plant that will be successfull in this environment would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It sounds like a very shaded area and to be honest I've only seen hydrangea growing in well lit spots.

Are there any hydrangea experts out there? Any advice is always welcome.

brian

Thanks for replying :D

Gardenmom
Cool Member

Hydrangeas have to have some sun to flower, even if it's dappled light through the trees. Mine get a little morning light through the branches of a white birch tree and our house faces East (they're along the front of the house). I'm not sure what zone you're in - I'm in 10(a or b?) and we have many homes that face north with big billowing hydrangeas in the front yard. I think it's possible given good, rich soil and plenty of water. They'll droop a litte on really hot days.

daisee
Newly Registered

Here is one that will grow in partial shade.

https://www.taunton.com/finegardening/plantguide/hydrangea-macrophylla-bigleaf-hydrangea.aspx

brian

Thanks for the link, they are beautifull, wil they climb a trellis and if so what amount of growth should I expect per season depending on the conditions. :D

daisee
Newly Registered

Hmmm, I don't know. It says moderate grower on that web site. Here are some more:

https://www.taunton.com/finegardening/plantguide/genus/hydrangea.aspx

My fiance got me one from the grocery store as a little present. It was in my window for two months receiving bright light but no direct sunlight. It went from pink to bright blue (probably due to nutrient loss, right?), but I was lazy about watering it because I knew it wouldn't survive in my zone. Now it's in the compost heap and I'm trying to figure out which one I should grow.

brian

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should be looking at some other options. Nice talking to you, thanks again. :D

JPlovesflowers

I'm guessing you are asking about a climbling hydrangea? Here is a website with some info: https://www.springmeadownursery.com/article_1.htm
Looks like it needs some sun as do all of the bush varieties. I have been wanting a climber for several years and my husband keeps vetoing the idea, he saw one at the garden center this weekend and I thought he would drool on himself. Needless to say, there may be one in my near future....Lots of luck! :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The Sunset Western Garden Book states that hydrangeas like full sun but prefer "partial shade in [the] hottest climates."

I live in USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17. My next-door neighbors, like I, have an east-facing house. They have a very large bush hydrangea in front of the house. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. They've had to cut it back a couple of feet or so every couple of years b/c it gets so large.

Re. bloom color. Again from Sunset: "In some hydrangea varieties, blue or pink flower color is affected by soil pH--bluest color is produced in strongly acid soils (below pH 5.5), pink or red in neutral to alkaline soils (pH 7.0 and higher)."

So it's not a loss of nutrients, but an acid/alkaline soil balance, that affected the color of your blooms, daisee.

I'm trying to rescue my MIL's hydrangea. BIL had it set into the (very) shaded northwest corner of MIL's lot, three feet in from the corner of the lot--which is surrounded by solid 6-foot fence. The irrigation system has NOT worked, and on my March, April, and May monthly visits to MIL's house, I have watered the daylights out of this poor hydrangea b/c its dirt was dust.

Last Saturday, I found a bucket of rotting (and I mean anaerobically rotting) agapanthus roots/water/who knows what else and dumped them near the hydrangea for nutrients AND for disposal far away from everything else. (MIL doesn't have a compost bin--YET.) My hope is that these nutrients will help the hydrangea make it to my next visit on June 8. (I go down there about every 4 weeks.)

Good luck to everyone with hydrangeas! I absolutely do not have a suitable spot for one here, but I do like looking at my neighbor's plant and am good to go with rescuing MIL's plant.

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA

Agardener

Can I put them in a quite sunny spot with sun shine from about 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the summer?

WES
Newly Registered

I have 3 hydrangea bushes in the front landscaping. Only 2 flower every year. The third has only flowered once in 5 summers. Any ideas?

Haesuse

southern oak leaf hydrangea is what you want. it is alabama's (my state) state wildflower, and does wonderfully in full shade. I have 3 of them, all over 10 feet tall, and around 6 feet in diameter, in my back yard, under layer after layer of tree. they get ZERO sunlight. absolutely ZERO, and bloom like CRAZY all growing season. mine are the "snowflake" cultivar, but I believe all of them have basically the same growing conditions.

[url]https://www.phillipoliver.net/hydquercifolia.htm[/url]

although, now that I see you are in canada, I'm not so sure. I have no idea what temps this thing will tolerate...

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”