matt31920
Newly Registered

Help with Hydrangea Row

Hello-

I was hoping someone with some experience with hydrangeas could help me...climate wise I am in New York.

I bought 5 Monrovia Endless Summer hydrangea's last year. I planted them in early August last year.

This spring/summer, all 5 seem to be alive, but 3 of them are much smaller than the other two.

I gave them all the Espsoma food this spring as well, and I water them for about 30 minutes every other day with a mister, or as needed under hotter conditions.

I'm really worried and don't know too much about gardening but I enjoy it. I love these plants and thought they would look beautiful in a row.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the smaller ones will fill in, or should I replace them?

Thanks in advance...here are 3 pictures
Attachments
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Many things could have resulted in this, especially in the first few years when the plants are becoming established in your garden. The root systems on the leftmost plants may have been bigger and allowed those to bounce back quicker. The ones on the right may not be getting enough water. Just make sure that you are keeping the soil as evenly moist as possible, well mulched, fertilize with 1/2 to 1 cup of composted manure, organic compost or cottonseed meal. Or a general purpose, slow-release chemical fertilizer with a NPK Ratio of around 10-10-10. Make sure all the plants are getting the same amount of water from drip or a sprinkler. Test the soil if your soil is alkaline and acidify it with garden sulfur or aluminum sulfate. Observe if the soil gets wet on one side more than the other after it rains. Observe if snow tends to pile up on the right side. Etc, etc.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”