pricci85
Newly Registered

Why does my new white hydrangea have pink spots?

Hello! I planted hydrangeas about 1.5-2 months ago. I am unsure why my white hydrangeas have pink spots. I've been watering 2x a week. Any suggestions? Thank you! :D

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, pricci85. I am not quite certain of the cause without a picture or the name of this shrub but, below are some reasons (I am assuming the spots are in the blooms and not the leaves)...

(a) hydrangea blooms change colors as they age. A white bloom, for example, may start a bit on the green/yellow side, then turn white, then turn a mix of white-pink, white-blue or white-pink-green (varies from one hydrangea to another). After going through a plethora of color and shade changes, the spent blooms finally end brown-ish in the Fall/Winter. Each phase of color change lasts "a while"; maybe 2-4 weeks or more.... Heat and lack of water can "expedite" these color changes.

(b) some white blooming hydrangeas will naturally develop a colored single spot in the center of the bloom. This spot will be white or it can be pink in alkaline soil or blue in acidic soil. If you look incredibly close to the bloom, the spot resembles a tiny pumpkin. Those are the 'real' flowers.

(c) overhead watering on blooms can make the surface of the blooms develop breaks or injuries that develop fungal infections, which appear as spots of various colors.

(d) some varieties of hydrangeas naturally develop spots on blooms. If not mistaken, pink-blooming Preziosa is well known for developing these spots. They actually look nice enough that some people buy it because of the spots.

(e) Some people have noticed some speckling after frequent rains or after doing frequent waterings so there may be a connection between the sepals getting wet and the speckling. But there is not much one can do to reverse or prove the connection, other than not to do overhead watering. ;o)

If you can post a picture, we could comment/research this further.
Luis

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”