Katie_89

Re: New to Hydrangea planting/care

How can I protect them from hot afternoon sun?? it's supposed to be near 90 degrees here for the next few days and I definitely want then to survive. they are already in a pretty shady spot but still get the sun they need.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If they are in a spot where they get afternoon shade, then they are protected.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Summer temps here arrived several weeks ago and I started noticing some wilting too... in the newly planted ones. In your -and my- neck of the woods, they now need to start getting mulched (2-4"), watered regularly and protected from the afternoon sun by 11am or 12pm. Then regularly checked for wilting, Those big ole leaves loose moisture faster than the roots can absorb water and you end with wilting. But as long as the soil is evenly moist, they will fix themselves by nighttime or the next morning. Newly planted shrubs do this more on their first few summers but still will do this if it gets too hot, dry or windy. I try to check them for wilting episodes almost daily when I take the dogs outside after they eat. If the wilting episode looks awful. I give them about 1/2 gallon of water and ask questions later. LOL! But it is looks "normal" then I check the soil to see if ti moist and either leave them alone (if the soil is moist) or give them water. Do not skimp of waterings. On each watering, I give them 1g of water but I will increase (more water or same amt but more often) as the temps get close to the 100s and as I see these wilting issues develop. By the time we get to frequent 100s, I will be watering 1.5g-2g twice a week and maybe once more on some Sundays but I will do that extra manual one with a hose as my other shrubs are usually ok; it is just the azaleas, camellias and hydrangeas that need the water. Remember that they were sold potted; which means their roots were cut to fit into the pot that was used to sell them. In future years, they will develop larger root systems that can respond faster and better but until they get established in the first few summers, keep an eye on the leaves as best as you can when temps are hot.

Katie_89

It's been pretty hot here and every morning one has been wilting. So I've been watering them every day
afraid the pots will fry the roots and the flowers in this heat :/

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Make sure the pots themselves are not getting heated by the afternoon or evening sun as that would make them warm up and loose moisture. Roots near the edges will also not like that heat. Similarly, make sure the area is not windy and that the pots have unclogged holes from which the water can exit.

I am concerned about the wilting one though. I would expect that the leaves would not be wilted in the morning. But that assumes that the soil has moisture going into the evening hours. When does it get water, how much water and when do you detect the wilting of leaves?

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”