faithful4ever

Nikko Blue Hydrangea from Cutting?

Hi I every one is doing well?

I have a problem with my nikko blue hydrangea. I've been taking care of a stray cat well yesterday evening I decided t let him into the house to get out of the rain, I fed him and right after he ate he decided my potted hydrangea would be a good bed to take nap in. well I got him off of it and found that my plant had slightly came off of the little twig it had been attached to. My question is can I take it off and do a soft cutting I hope Iam saying this right?...lol I've read online that it can be done some have taking leaves and put into peat soil and it sprouted roots. Do I need to get some root hormone for this or can it be done without it? Please help it's starting to droop :cry:. one last question the twig it grew on will it grow another plant? God Bless everyone and thank you all in advanced for all your help :wink: :( .

Grey
Greener Thumb

Ah, me hubby did this to me - he stepped on one of my young hydrangeas and broke a little piece off. Amazingly enough, I cut that piece into two (since it had two leetle branches on it) and now I have three hydrangeas.

Kitty may have gotten you a new plant. :lol:

The plant it grew on will be fine - it will put up new growth and all should be well.

The broken piece, I don't usually bother with rooting hormone. If the stem is long enough, I clean up the broken end with a diagonal cut and drop it in water in a low bottle in a windowsill. If it isn't that long, just neaten up the broken end with a clean, diagonal cut and place it in some dirt.

Gardenmom
Cool Member

I agree with that. My Grandmother roots hydrangeas, rhododendrons and many other plants right in water and placed in a sunny windowsill.

Grey
Greener Thumb

It's odd that some people can do that, and others cannot. I have a good friend down the street who loves to garden, and for her, rooting a cutting just never works. I explained air-layering to her a couple of weeks ago, so we will see if that does any better. I love getting new plants from an established one!

James282
Cool Member

hey Grey(or anybody!), since you seem to know a thing or two about nikko blues I was wondering if you could answer a quick question I have about them. I just bought two of them today, but now I am not so sure where I should plant them. It says "sun to part shade" - but a lot of what I am reading makes me think that they prefer shade to sun. The area I had planned on is very nearly full sun(only some morning shade until about 9:30 AM). Do you think they would last with that much sun? Thanks!

James

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”