Biggles
Newly Registered

Hydrangea Starts - Cutting Back for Larger Blooms?

Hello :) A couple of years ago I took a good number of cuttings from a hydrangea plant that features very large white blooms. All the cuttings took, in water, such that eventually I placed them into small pots. Another year and I combined the many small starts into fewer large pots such that I now have lush and leggy young plants. I read somewhere that one gets larger blooms by cutting well back yet my plants are so young at this point I must wonder if that rule would obtain at this still-early stage. Kinda hate to cut away all that lovely growth but perhaps I should in, say, another month. Again, I'm after BIG blooms. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. Any counsel would be much appreciated.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Lush and leggy, are the plants outdoors or inside? They are either getting too much nitrogen or too little light. Maybe both if you have them indoors.

As for blooming, you didn't say what variety of hydrangea you have. Some bloom on old wood some on new. Also they have to have some chill time in order to form flower buds.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”