meaghangardener
Newly Registered

hydrangea help!

Hi,

I have three "pee gee" hydrangea bushes. About six years old. All three have done so well but last summer one looked "dead". Now there is only little growth on the bottom and the rest of the branches are bare. The other two are thriving. Anyone have any tips for me to restore this plant? I was wondering if I should cut it down branches and see what the new growth will do....any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

meaghan

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Pee Gee hydrangeas are very tough. I am shocked that it died as you describe, wow! :shock:

If it happened in the summer, did you determine why? May be useful to know although probably very hard to determine now. A watering issue could have killed the stems above the ground; then since the roots survived, the plant would have sent new shoots this Spring. Maybe some insects damaged the roots too.

There is nothing you can do to restore a stem that has not leafed out by now and looks dried out and dead (unless you live in REALLY cold regions like Canada where you may have a tiny chance for leaf out still). Just prune the old stems to the ground and start again.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”