Aquaticsunflower
Newly Registered

Newbie post... Bought some dormant hydrangeas today

Alright, so I bought some dormant hydrangeas today at sams club for 12 dollars because that's just a steal, and I'm in love with hydrangeas. However, I'm not sure what to do with them because it's not spring yet. I know that there's a way to store them properly until I'm ready to plant them, I just don't know what that way is. I believe they are of the Nikko variety. They are two small little guys, all wrapped up, and sat neatly in a box. I put them in my cool closet to keep them from coming out of dormancy, but I don't know if that's correct or what. I only bought them a few hours ago when this is being posted.

What should I do? Any advice on what to do when I plant them?

I just really want them to live... XD

Much love!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Congrats, Aquaticsunflower! That is a good price. You do not say where do you live or in what zone you are but, normally, I keep the new purchases in the garage with the understanding that I should water them somewhat regularly (say, every week or every two weeks) & that I will plant them outside about 2 weeks after my average date of last frost.

Because this is their first year and no one knows what kind of care they got at the wholesaler and because El Nino is messing the temps this winter season, they may leaf out early or not. Any stems that have not leafed out by the end of May at the latest can be pruned. If the plants do leaf out early, I would wait until it is about 2 weeks after the average date for late frosts to plant them outside.

It would be fine to take them outside earlier if they leaf out and leave them in bright shade or where they get a few hours only of morning sun (shade afterwards) so they get used to the sun. But only if it will be above freezing. If you hear it will be freezing again them bring them in. My winter this year is quite mild so this would be doable but if your temps keep gyrating back and forth above-below freezing then keep the plants in the garage regardless of whether they leafed out or not.

Hydrangeas are normally under-story plants to select a location where the leaves get morning summer sun until 11am-12pm and then shade afterwards. Now or in Spring, the sun is "weaker" and they can handle full sun but in the summer, the leaves can scorch. But in some location in the northern half of the country, you can safely put them in full sun. If you notice issues during the summer, feel free to transplant them a shadier location. You will not be the first or last person that had to transplant them!

Once planted outside, you may not need to fertilize this year if the wholesaler put those round fertilizer pellets. That should last them during the growing season. In future years, you can start with 1/2 to 1 cup of cottonseed meal, organic compost or composted manure. Then you can add weaker fertilizers like liquid seaweed, liquid fish or coffee grounds thru the growing season but stop at the end of June so the plant will not get too much nitrogen and will stay in growing mode when it to go dormant and prepare for winter.

If your soil is alkaline, make plans to give them some garden sulphur or aluminum sulfate in Spring per the package's label. You can also use iron sulphate, greensand or iron-chelated liquid compounds. Otherwise, you do not need to amend the soil.

Luis

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”