stparkes
Newly Registered

newbie here! are these hydrangea shrubs or trees?

Hello, all.
I'm totally new to gardening and may be overthinking this, but here goes!
Just had these pee gee hydrangea shrubs planted this summer (see photo of pool with fence). They're about 5-7 feet tall.
I'm hoping they'll eventually look like my inspiration photo (the pee gees with woman sitting poolside), but based on their stalkiness, I wonder if they ever will. They look like more like trees than shrubs. Will they eventually fill in and create that lush, dense look I'm trying to achieve?
Look forward to hearing peoples' thoughts. Thank you! (BTW, our landscaper assures us they are are shrubs.)
Attachments
IMG_4595.jpg
51c061edd4a4c54928c8078afe3f62e4.jpg

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Yes they will. Just do not prune any stems or remove foliage; let them keep growing new stems and more stems thru the years.

It is normal for some paniculatas to show their legs or show their feet when young, as some people say but, once these Pee Gee specimens get large, the stems will bend over on top of each other and end up covering the lower parts of the current bared stems. But right now, they are not "there".

Let some time pass, do not prune any stems (new or otherwise) or any leaves. Then in time, they will be shrubbery looking as they get older. The stems will be on top of other stems and the weight will bend them down, thus covering the bare lower stems in your picture.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/38843615508005409/

stparkes
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for such a clear, helpful response. I am one relieved rookie gardener.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”