lcoscio
Newly Registered

When to Plant a Hydrangea Tree

I am a happy recipient of a Hydrangea Tree which I believe to be of the Oakleaf variety. It is about 6 feet tall and has been growing in a wide barrel-type pot. We live in Albany, NY and have already had a few frosty nights. Is it too late to plant the tree in the ground? If we are better off waiting to plant it next year - when, and how is it best stored for the winter?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Icoscio :D

Around now is the best time to transplant Hydrangeas as long as the ground isn't frozen.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Are you sure it is Hydrangea quericfolia and not Hydrangea paniculata? Oakleaf hydrangea is usually not available in a tree form and a six foot tall oakleaf would typically be very wide. Oakleaf hydrangeas are only marginally hardy in Zone 5 and usually do not survive unless ideally sited. Hydrangea painiculata is both much hardier and much more common in a tree form - I'm hoping that is what you have.

lcoscio
Newly Registered

Jess and MaineDesigner - Thank you both for your responses!

MaineDesigner - On closer examination, I think you are right...I am nowhere near an expert and was trying to match up the leaves and shape of blooms.

We moved forward and planted it last weekend. Can't wait to see how it does next summer!

Thanks again and best wishes.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”