climmodesto
Newly Registered

hydrangea in winter

Hello,

I brought my mophead hydrangeas last summer and I can say that they had quite a few big flowers. Its the middle of fall and current temperature here is 9 deg C. My question is what do I do to prepare my hydrangeas for the coming winter? When do I start? Thanks.

Cristina

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Cristina,

Make sure they are watered and mulched for the winter. You don't say what your hardiness zone is so I can't say if these shrubs are hardy in your area.

Newt

Hydrangea Care

Marge
Cool Member

Whatever you do, don't cut the dead flower heads off the shrub. As I understand it the old flower head protects the new growth in the winter.

When summer comes you should be able to just pinch out the old flower heads and the new ones should be establishing.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Marge,

Old blooms can be removed at any time.

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi climmodesto,

I live in South West Canada and we can have temperatures down to -5 or even down to ten below sometimes. As Newt has pointed out, just give your plants a nice rich mulch in the fall (Best to do when the leaves are falling because they are free mulch. Run over them with the lawnmower first).

Yes, we deadhead our hydrangeas once the blooms have deteriated, and have lovely new flower heads each year. So, dead head them now and through the spent blooms in the compost to provide you with rich fertilizer for the spring.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”