RobandZehra
Newly Registered

Acid Loving Plants

As I am in the wine business, I often have lots of wine leftover from tastings. Someone suggested that after we have consumed what would be a kind level as far as our livers go, that I should water my acid loving Hyrdrangeas, Rhodos, Holly etc with the leftover wine. Is there someone who can confirm that the acidification of the soil by the wine would be overall beneficial and the alcohol content not harmful?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Not sure you'll find anyone who will confirm that.

Newt

Grey
Greener Thumb

I don't know if a plant would survive long on a watering schedule based on wine.

Not unless you let it go bad, maybe... let it sit out, watered down (at least 50/50), in a bucket for a week or so and then give it to a plant?

You can experiment with a plant or two in a pot, I sure would keep it watered down and not at full potency. Hollies seem to be pretty stout, and small enough you can try it in a pot...

Keep us posted. Grass does well with a little beer, but I imagine it's the hops and not the alcohol that the grass likes, and of course, it is broadcast over a large area, so not the same as dumping your leavings in a pot.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”