JenJones24
Newly Registered

Is this a good spot for an Oakleaf hydrangea?

Hi All,

First time homeowner and novice gardener. I was hoping you could help with a plant suggestion.

There's a corner of our yard that's bare. It's on the north side of the house (NE corner) and next to a rather large evergreen privacy shrub with a tree on the other side (not sure on the variety -- purple leaves and white/pink flowers).

I keep thinking an Oakleaf hyrdrangea would look nice there, but I'm worried it wouldn't get enough light. Thoughts? Any other ideas? It gets some filtered light, but not super direct.

I'm in the DC region (zone 7a).

Thanks!
Jen
IMG_7536.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have an oakleaf hydrangea that is under the shade of a big old black walnut tree. Between the fact that black walnuts are not exactly friendly to things planted near them and that the hydrangea gets zero direct sun, it is not thriving as well as it might. But it continues to survive, grow, bloom.

So I think your spot would be fine.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

The location may be crowded if you put one of the common oakleaf hydrangeas as these may attain a size of 10' there or force you to prune often or every other year. Due to the lack of sun in there, I would not get something expensive in case it blooms poorly. Dwarf versions of oakleaf like Sike's Dwarf, Pee Wee, Muchkin or Ruby Slippers.

Do a sun track of this location at several times of the year to observe how much sun you get. If too expensive, I would try Columbines or Hostas instead.

JenJones24
Newly Registered

Great advice! Thank you.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”