luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Re-awakening Symptoms On Macs

Other than the obvious (leafing out), what symptoms have you noticed of hydrangeas re-awakening?

Last year, my shrubs did not leaf out at all but the wild temperature swings resulted in very few blooms on unprotected macrophyllas (macs).

This year, I noticed leaf out only on the ends of the stems a few days back... which means that the flower buds will be killed if the silly thing does not go dormant again. I am hoping for a gradual descent in temperatures. So far, the long term forecast is favorable for this.

As usual, Oakleaf Hydrangeas were more hardy. Last year, they had no bloomage problems. This year, one finally went dormant but the other one still has a gorgeous display of purple-red-orangish leaves. It is normal for them to go dormant quite late here by the way, so I am no worried about their blooms... yet. Their flower buds have survived at times when temps tanked to the high 10s but the macs, ugh, ah the macs, eek, eh the macs....

I was wondering if someone had noticed a clue of this "awakening" that was not the leaf out? Would be nice to know in case Mother Nature decides to send much chillier temps this way. Winter protection is not something done all the way down here as out temps are normally mild in winter.

Merry Christmas y'all,
Luis

Shirley Pinchev

The first thing I notice is that the buds swell a little bit. But, today we pruned back to the first leaved out bud. We are in the Seattle area, z 8 or 8b and most of my hydrangeas do not seem bothered by frost or snow. Some tender plants will not survive our winters but these are usually brought in to the garage. The macs do just fine, the paniculata handle the cold beautifully and since most of the serattas are originally from the mountains in China - I figure they can stand the cold just fine. Purple plum looks ok although not budding yet but the ones from the Monrovia, Dan Hinkley collection are just fine. Dan Hinkley attends most of our local plant sales and I always ask him if they will be ok in my garden. lol

I will post photos in the summer. I have a new - old plant - but new to me of a 9 foot seratta and can't wait to see what that one looks like when it blooms.

Shirley Pinchev

Oops - the new one is not a Serrata but a Hydrangea aspera, Chinese Big Leaf. It still has not broken dormancy - but we will see......

Here is a picture of what it might look like - I can hardly wait but was told it is a late bloomer - maybe that is why it is late to wake up! lol
Hydrangea Aspera, Chinese Big Leaf.jpg
https://www.accessiblegardens.org

Shirley Pinchev

Today it is showing a tiny bit of green at the end of some of the branches!! Looks like it might make it. There is also two very small green leaves emerging from the base. All the rest of the hydrangeas in the garden and in pots have all put out new leaves or bulging buds. Very exciting time and I will try to get a photo of this one tomorrow and post it. Even Plum Passion is waking up.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Oh, wow. Sounds great, Shirley. PAnd do post pics... which reminds me... sigh... I need to replace my digital camera that broke. One of these decades probably.

The macs and paniculata in the front of my house are still thinking about leafing out while the oakleaf has started. On the "south side", a lacecap and a mophead started leafing out while the oakleaf there never went to sleep and still sports the purplish/brownish leaf colors that it developed during the Fall. At some point, those old leaves will be replaced, just not now.

Shirley Pinchev

Finally got out between the rain drops and took some pics. It was interesting because the close ups of the new one really showed the aspera characteristics such as the narrow leaves and peeling bark. Can't wait for the blooms, but they don't come til late summer. This was moved as a mature - almost 8 ft plant a couple months ago.
Attachments
AAC_9765 aspera tall.jpg
AAC_9769 aspera tall 1.jpg
AAC_9766 aspera 2.jpg

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Well, H. aspera does really well in Washington and Oregon so enjoy "the show". There is supposed to be a very large specimen somewhere in Oregon, someone once said where, God, I cannot remember where... maybe a university.

Shirley Pinchev

There is a Aspera at the Rhododendron Species Garden in Seattle - actually south of the city in Federal Way, that my garden buddy saw that was almost 20ft. LOL I will send a shot of the place it has in the garden. Plenty of room. Can't wait for it to bloom, but it will not be til late summer.

Do you have a nursery? You are very knowledgeable about many plants - especially hydrangeas. We are very fortunate that they love our Marine zone, Sunset 8b, and several of the plant hunters live close by. Dan Hinkley sells plants at all of our special garden sales, and so we are able to get some of his newest plants from his world adventures as well as attend many of his lectures. I have a few new ones and as soon as they show some color or characteristics I will photograph them and post. My neighbors must think I am a bit nuts because every day I go out - rain or shine - and just stare trying to see the changes. lol

Do you have some interesting plants that you can share photos of? I would love to see them.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”