seaellare
Cool Member

Hydrangeas not blooming

I have 7 Endless Summer hydrangeas - planted at the foundation of my house, north side. They get ample sun, shade, and water. They are mulched with appx. 2" of pine bark mulch. Out of all 7 plants, I've had 2 blooms this year!!! I planted them about 1 year, 3 months ago. They bloomed a little bit last year. Being Endless Summers, when we had our first frost last Oct, there were blooms starting on almost every plant that got killed off :(

We did have a late frost this April that killed back a good 6" of green growth on them, and I'm wondering if that is why I haven't had any blooms - no old wood for them to bloom on. Should I not worry and just wait, since they bloom on both old and new wood? I'd hate to have all of the blooms end up getting killed with the cold temps again - at least when I could only enjoy 2 blooms the whole summer!!!

They seem to be doing fine otherwise - about 3 1/2' tall, same width, growing nicely - full, and bushy. I'm seeing new leaves sprouting from all over the stems, just no buds. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Grey
Greener Thumb

I have the same problem, only two of my hydrangeas produced any blooms this year. I *think* Endless blooms on new growth, if I remember right - but so do some of my hydrangeas and they didn't do much more than grow height and widthwise this year.

I'm told, it is that Easter frost that did the damage. My theory in that case is that the energy needed for blooms was expended into a second growth season instead... but there may be another reason for it that I just don't "get."

I'm hopeful that next year, I get plenty. :)

seaellare
Cool Member

Thanks, Grey!

I'm with you on that - hope we get lots and lots of beautiful blooms next year!!!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”