Brandywinegirl

Hydrangeas Did Not Bloom This Year - Why?

My neighbor & I have hydrangeas and they have bloomed for the last 12 years with no problem. This year, we noticed that only the leaves have grown, and very slowly. We got no flowers. This past winter was brutal in PA. Could that have been the problem? Has anyone else had this issue? I miss them!!

Thanks,
nutz:

applestar
Mod

I think most of us in the zone 6-7 borderline had this problem with our Macrophylla -- Big leaf and Lacecap -- hydrangeas. My MIL's Lacecaps died to the ground. They are not really hardy when it gets that cold in winter, and since they bloom on last year's growth, if they (flower buds) all get winter killed, there are no flowers.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Same here in Texas. Our temperatures kept fluctuating so much, we almost hit a record. Unfortunately, that up and down confused the shrubs into starting to leaf out and the next downdraft killed buds and-or stems. Mopheads and lacecaps were affected here but oakleaf hydrangeas and paniculatas were not. Oakleaf hydrangeas are slightly more hardy than macrophyllas and paniculatas develop flower buds in May here so they escaped the worst of the winter. Repeat bloomers and mophead/lacecaps in protected locations may have fared better. I have a lacecap that managed to bloom but it is protected on 2-3 sides.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”