lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Tough Winter

My hydrangea are not looking as great this year. We had a tough winter, a few nights around 10. I did not get a chance to clip the dead heads, but that is not the problem. I have lots of limbs that are dead and dry. I hope to find some time to clip the dead wood off, but for now, it is not a pleasant sight, and will be hard for big blue blooms to overshadow the dead limbs.

Anyone else have that issue?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

It looks like a lot of them in my neighborhood (zone 7a) have died to the ground, only showing basal growth. Usually they're leafing out about now but all I see are dead sticks with green coming up from the base. I noticed a few people weren't patient and already removed them completely!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I have enough green growth to produce a good plant, and will get many blooms. But it will be a tedious job to trim the dead. I have some plants down near my garden, along the bank at lakeside. I use a chainsaw on them about every three years, and did so this last winter. They look GREAT, but of course will have limited blooms this year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It was a tough winter for much of the US. I have a thread "it was a hard winter" about all the things that didn't make it through my winter. My hydrangea did come back, however.

applestar
Mod

My macrophylla is looking like Pinksand described -- all dead sticks with basal growth. I may take the opportunity to remove it like I've been wanting to do, because I want to replace it with a native hydrangea... It's never done very well here -- I think our winter is too borderline, and usually looks the way lakngulf is describing this year's hydrangea, or worse.

Plus there is a large...huge...prickly wild blackberry between the hydrangea and the fence that I haven't been able to access to dig out. And until I get rid of that mothership, new suckers will continue to pop up everywhere :x

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”