RobinM

Re: Frozen Hydrangea

Rainbowgardener: Thanks so much for all the great advise. I will see if I can rub the dirt off first. Really appreciate the help!

Luis: I was thinking of planting an umbrella next to the hydrangea since I planted it in full sun and don't want to move it :wink: I'm KIDDING! Thanks for the great information. I really am thinking of planting a tree on the west side of it to give it some relief from the afternoon sun. I wanted to plant a tree in that general area anyway. If that doesn't shade it enough, I will move it somewhere else more appropriate. Thanks again!
He who plants the seed beneath the sod and waits for it to grow up through the clod, he trusts in God

RobinM

Rainbowgardener: Just an update, I went out and moved the dirt from the top of the Iris, and lo and behold, I found the rhizomes on each of them. They were buried about 1" below the dirt. I have them all wiped off now so we'll see what happens. Thanks again!
He who plants the seed beneath the sod and waits for it to grow up through the clod, he trusts in God

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

The hydrangea should be fine. I have some in Michigan, and I don't do anything to protect them through the winter and they still come up year-after-year. As to iris-they are incredibly hardy. I once found some that had been covered with grass and mowed repeatedly. I dug them out (actually pulling some out by the green stems), and they flourished in my garden. I’ve never needed to stake them either. Even if they get rather tall and lanky, it won’t hurt them to flop over a bit.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”