Cola82
Green Thumb

Watering frozen soil bad for the roots?

So you all know, I'm sure, about the nationwide freeze we're all dealing with. I woke up to snow this morning and I went onto the patio to check it out. All the plants on my covered patio were kind of wilting, including the hydrangeas that I grew from cuttings back in July. (This is their first winter.) So I watered everything, and only afterward noticed that the soil was frozen solid. The water was just sitting in the pot, developing ice crystals.

I know hydrangeas are pretty cold hardy, but did I just make a huge mistake? I'm worried I should have brought them in. I could still rush out before it gets any colder tonight if I have to. I'm just worried about the soil freezing around the roots.

Any advice is appreciated.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hmm, I would think the roots cannot absorb water if the soil is frozen solid so depending how much water you applied, it may not cause problems. I just watered the night before the freeze hit my area and I know how concerned you probably are. No matter what we tell, you will need to inspect a-l-l shrubbery and trees when warm temps arrive as well as from Spring thru the Summer months. Damage may not be obvious in some plants until summer starts (examples azaleas and rhododendrons). Until then, I would apply an anti-dessicant to the leaves and maintain mulch 3-4" up to the drip line (do not let the mulch touch the crown).

Interesting article:

https://dallaslifeblog.dallasnews.com/20 ... olds.html/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Different varieties of hydrangeas have different cold hardiness ratings, but many of them are quite cold hardy. Here in zone 6, I do not do anything to winter protect my oakleaf hydrangea. It is planted in the ground under a big tree, so both of those are more protection than in a container in the open. But still in zone 8, it is hard for me to imagine that it needs a whole lot of winter protection.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Just keep warm yourself! Temps here are in the 20s all day and will go down to the teens before starting a heat wave to the mid 30s. :() At least a tiny portion of the ice that has not melted might melt.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Well I went out today and sure enough, the water I put in the pot is basically a big solid disc of ice on top of the soil. It just froze in place. I put both pots in the garage for the night, because it's supposed to get down to 3. 3! I'm in the Willamette Valley, not Saskatchewan!

But like you said, Luis, it should warm up tomorrow and go back to sane night time temperatures, (like 32). They really are the only plants I'm worried about. But hopefully a night in the (comparatively) toasty garage won't hurt any more than it will help.

Thanks, everyone. :)

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Well, if there is lots of ice, freezing rain and sleet in Saskatchewan, global warming moved Saskatchewan up here! I am glad to see temps above 32 (yes, 33 only but at last!). Now I have to go figure out what to do with the tree/shrub/whatever that fell due to the ice and is blocking my driveway and preventing me from opening the car gate. I tried chopping it but hmm, after a few ballet poses on the way there, I concluded that this is something that is best done another warmer day! :-()

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”