kkamomma1
Newly Registered

Can I get an Oak leaf called Harmony in the Metroplex?

Does any one know of where I can get an Oak leaf Called Harmony here in the Dallas Metroplex?

or I have a friend coming back this weekend from Florida through Alabama.. any where along the coast?

or I have friend going this weekend to Kansas City , Mo. Any nurseries there carry it ? thanks so much

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A quick Google search turned up places (in Louisiana) not oak trees. I suspect you'll need to talk to someone who lives near where you saw the oak you like for a correct common (or botanic) name.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Harmony is gorgeous and best ordered by mail/Internet in the Metroplex and even then it is notoriously difficult to locate. Snowflake is an alternative if it becomes difficult or impossible to find (buy it by mail too).

Most plant nurseries here will have only a few unwanted hydrangea leftovers in their stock by now. Probably H. Macrophyllas. They usually put them all on sale by June when the temps get into the 90s because it is difficult to sell plants that need a lot of water once the 100s arrive. For some reason, everyone wants to sell Alice. I have seen some Pee Wees, Munchkins and Ruby Slippers this year. No Harmonys ever though. Calloways had lots of hydrangeas this year but few oakleafs. I have seen some at Blooming Colors in Grapevine, Northhavens Gardens in Dallas and Marshall Grain in Grapevine in past years. MG is sold out of hydrangeas as of 2 weeks ago. I have not stopped at Northhavens Gardens this year. BC had a lot of hydrangeas in stock last time I visited a month ago but most were Macs. I think I may have seen a handful of oakleafs and serratas at the start of the season.

I hate to say this but a word of caution: hydrangeas all look alike when they have no blooms so insist on ordering a plant that has blooms so you know you are getting what you want. Especially important when ordering by mail. I once bought a Nikko Blue with no blooms at Lowes locally (due to sale prices) and it turned out to be a lacecap.... :roll:

kkamomma1
Newly Registered

thanks for these responses. I agree , there seems to be a dearth of types in the metroplex now .. they originated in Alabama, So maybe I might have better luck there.
Luis, Would you check my post saving My Strawberry vanilla paniculata from Root rot ? you seem to be really correctly knowledgeable and I am really wanting to try to save it . Which choice? thanks

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I commented on VS.

Update: Redenta's in Arlington only had one hydrangea left and it was an Alice Oakleaf Hydrangea. Northhaven Gardens in Dallas) was out of stock.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are the expert, luis, but it seems like July in TX would be entirely the wrong time to be planting hydrangeas (or shrubs/trees generally), so I'm not surprised places are out of stock. You might check back in the fall or spring. At planting seasons they might have more supply.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Oh, I was not shopping for hydrangeas, rainbowgardener. I was checking out the supply of other shrubs like some sages, which are now starting to bloom heavily here. However, I checked out if they had any oakleaf hydrangeas for kkamomma1.

I normally do not purchase any plants after mid to late May because it is too hot. But some years, some shrubs have mysteriously appeared in my car and I have had to keep them in the shade, until the temperatures moderate.

Sages, hardy hibiscus and Crape Myrtles are now in bloom. The roses went on hiatus and only put a bloom per plant at best if unprotected from the sun.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”