climmodesto
Newly Registered

Flowers are still green

Hello!

I bought my hydrangeas at home depot garden 3 weeks ago. At that time they only have a few small green buds. I transplanted it in a large container using miracle grow planting mix. The plants are perfectly healthy with big green leaves and more leaves are coming out. The flowers have grown big and more and more buds are coming ou too.

My concern is why are still the flowers green? When will they changed color? Am I just being impatient or does the soil's acidity have to do with it? If I changed it now will it chnage the color of my hydrangeas before the end of summer? I don't care what color it will change to as long as it will not stay green forever. By the way I live in Ontario Canada. My hydrangeas receive lots of sun and water. Please help. I'm very anxious to show off my hydrangeas.

Thank you.
climmodesto

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hydrangea flowers take FOREVER - but they also last a really long time. Just be patient!

sungirl

:)
Last edited by sungirl on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sungirl

Well I have researched this on the net and found out the higher the PH level of the soil the pinkier the flowers. So a soil PH acidity level of 7 would give you very pink flowers and a PH below 5 would produce deep to medium blue coloured flowers. The more acid in the soil the bluer the flower. If you add coffee grounds to the base of your hydrangea, the flowers should be a deeper blue. An alkaline soil means pink flowers.

My experience in adding coffee grounds as noted in my previous post seemed to change the colour to a dark purplish pinkish blue but I did not do it to change the colour rather to increase the nitrogen level - I may not have added enough to keep the flower blue.

Not sure if this post helped at all but I found a very good chart illustrating the expected colours of the hydrangea flowers according to PH level on this site -

https://flowersbulbs.com/ql_hydrangea_color.php

Jasmine
Newly Registered

Hello everyone :lol:
I have a gorgeous very large hydrangea at the front of my house and it has both pink and blue flowers on it!
The flowers do last for ages and even when they turn a brownish colour they still look decorative.

Greenhaven

Some hydrangea varieties do stay green. Do you know what kind they were? Their name, that is. Some are meant to be white or green, and some will change colors like sungirl said, according to the pH level.

minnesota_girl

I have never grown a hydrangea but I was looking into them. Could somebody help me with this? If my soil is different it can change the color of the flowers?

DankyDoo

I have one that stays green it is called a
Limelight Hydrangea.

superpony123

there are actually some hydrangeas where the flowers are green. We have one, and I believe it's called "limelight" so that may be it.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Paniculatas are very hardy hydrangeas whose blooms are panicle-shaped or cone-shaped or look like an upside-down letter V. Mopheads have round, ball shaped blooms.

Limelight was developed in Europe and retains immature or green bloom longest than most. It should NOT be planted in full sun if you wish to extend the green immature look longer. The sun will bleach them to white after a while. Click here to see an example of a hedge of Limelights: https://www.colorchoiceplants.com/limelight.htm

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”