Carol M

drying hydrangeas

Trying to dry hydrangeas. You told me I picked too soon; so, WHEN to pick? I hung them upside down, in basement with a dehumidifier = no good next day = shriveled. Does humidity help/hurt them? More details, please.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This post would have made more sense to anyone reading it besides you and I, if you had attached it to your previous one with the reply button, instead of making it a new thread.

Did you read the article I linked? It says the only way that really works to dry hydrangea blossoms is to leave them on the plant until they dry naturally. If you have seen people's hydrangea plants in the fall, the blossoms do dry on the plant and keep their form, but not the same color. Lots of people leave those blossoms on the plant through the winter, for winter interest in the garden.

Otherwise, to keep the color, you will probably have to use silica gel (which is what is in those little desiccant packages that come in various things) , sand, or other drying agent ( e.g. cornmeal, borax). You can google how to do that.

Carol M

Thanks rainbow....didn't realize I could reply so easily. Tips are good...thanks again!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”