climmodesto
Newly Registered

Hydrangea sick?

I bought my Hydrangea plants (4 pots) from Home Depot Garden more than a week ago. Last Sunday I transplanted it to a bigger container about 18" in diameter. We have a very small yard and there's already a big tree in it so I decided to just plant it in a container. I followed the instructions on how to plant them. I watered it thoroughly and put miracle gro quick start. I noticed this morning that some of the stems are drying up. Most of them have brown spots on the stem. The leaves are still ok. I am not yet sure what type of Hydrangeas they are. It has small green flowers which looks like brocolli. I live in Ontario Canada and the plants get a lot of sunlight from my backyard (morning and afternoon sun). I checked the soil underneath the mulch and it is still moist. Can anybody please tell me what wrong with my Hydrangea?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tina

Grey
Greener Thumb

Oh no!

I can think of three potential problems, maybe one of these is it -

It sounds to me like it is in too much sun. Hydrangeas are almost happy in shade - just morning sun or a little afternoon sun, or dappled shade all day. It may be frying.

If you watered in the morning, and if the leaves got wet, hydrangea leaves will burn - the droplets of water act like little magnifying glasses on the leaves, and could be the culprit of the burned spots on the leaves you are describing.

Not sure how much fertilizer was given, or if it may have "burned" the plant. I know you said you read the directions though, so this probably isn't the problem.

I'd move the pots into shade, make sure the plants have plenty of water (not waterlogged, but they do like water a lot) and see if they start to recover.

climmodesto
Newly Registered

Thanks Grey. I moved my Hydrangeas in the shade and watered it thoroughly. I hope it will recover soon.

Tina
Grey wrote:Oh no!

I can think of three potential problems, maybe one of these is it -

It sounds to me like it is in too much sun. Hydrangeas are almost happy in shade - just morning sun or a little afternoon sun, or dappled shade all day. It may be frying.

If you watered in the morning, and if the leaves got wet, hydrangea leaves will burn - the droplets of water act like little magnifying glasses on the leaves, and could be the culprit of the burned spots on the leaves you are describing.

Not sure how much fertilizer was given, or if it may have "burned" the plant. I know you said you read the directions though, so this probably isn't the problem.

I'd move the pots into shade, make sure the plants have plenty of water (not waterlogged, but they do like water a lot) and see if they start to recover.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”