green.queen
Newly Registered

Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Lime" question

Supposedly this dwarf gets only 3-5 ft high and wide. Anyone out there actually have it for a few years now who could tell me the true size? I'm not sure I can believe it will stay that small. Maybe 5x5, but 3??

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Interesting question; I wondered that aloud when I first saw the 'heads up' years ago (regular Limelight gets quite large).

I have only seen it for sale here for the last 2-3 years but it does not appear to be in places/homes that I frequent because I have yet to see one in a home, park, city garden/etc. Thus, I am not sure how those specimens have done.

My take on those estimates is that they are a guesstimate when the plant is 10 years old (or maturity, as they call it in some plant labels). When there is a range given, I assume that growth will be limited in places where the growing season is short so, in the northernmost states, we might see growth of 3' and in the southernmost states we might see growth of 5'. LL has not been for sale that long yet so it should be interesting to see if it is indeed a dwarf or just a slow growing, regular sized, plant eventually. I remember a magnolia variety once having that outcome. Was it Little Gem maybe? I can't remember?!?

green.queen
Newly Registered

luis_pr wrote:Interesting question; I wondered that aloud when I first saw the 'heads up' years ago (regular Limelight gets quite large).

I have only seen it for sale here for the last 2-3 years but it does not appear to be in places/homes that I frequent because I have yet to see one in a home, park, city garden/etc. Thus, I am not sure how those specimens have done.

My take on those estimates is that they are a guesstimate when the plant is 10 years old (or maturity, as they call it in some plant labels). When there is a range given, I assume that growth will be limited in places where the growing season is short so, in the northernmost states, we might see growth of 3' and in the southernmost states we might see growth of 5'. LL has not been for sale that long yet so it should be interesting to see if it is indeed a dwarf or just a slow growing, regular sized, plant eventually. I remember a magnolia variety once having that outcome. Was it Little Gem maybe? I can't remember?!?

lily51
Greener Thumb

I planted a limelight in a large decorative pot 3 years ago, set it in a corner of the patio by garage, and haven't moved it yet. It has survived one mild ohio winter, one cold and average snowy winter. It's out in leaf now, looking healthy as ever.
As a side note, the cat loves to relax in the pot, in the shade of the hydrangea.

The p'll ant itself is about 4' x 4'. Maybe being in a container will keep size in check.
Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my coffee sitting beside it.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Gee, the cat is having such a hard life! Like my three dogs yesterday afternoon. LOL!

By the way, it feels cold outside here this morning so it must be even colder in Ohio... drink up the coffee quickly to stay warm and have a good day!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”