jehannefor
Newly Registered

Hydrangea's leaves burn

I've read that Hydrangeas thrive in full sun as long as they are watered well, but I have one that I water every day because it gets about 3-4 hours of full afternoon sun and still its leaves are burnt to a crisp. Is there anything I can do to help this plant?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Unless you can move it somewhere more shady I suggest planting something in front of it to give it some shade. Is that possible? Also I am presuming that when you water you water the base not the foliage.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hmm. I wouldn't recommend putting a hydrangea in full sun. I think you probably need to move it.

The leaves may be burning for one of two (or both!) reasons: If you are getting the leaves wet, and the leaves remain wet in that sunlight, the droplets of water act as magnifying glasses and fry the leaves. Or, it could be just that the leaves are not intended to handle full sun.

You can try watering only at the base if you have been getting the leaves wet, and see if that fixes the problem, if it doesn't, I'd say you need to move the plant to a part-sun location.

Good luck!

mark
Newly Registered

I have hydrangea under oak trees 3 to 4 hours of sun in the morning and shade in the pm, every year my hydrangeas start out well and then the leaved start to burn and by the end of summer they look terrible, I am trying to find out is the sun /shade the problem or the oak trees taking the nutrients from the shrubs..weather I water a lot or a little that does not impact the problem..HELP

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hmmm. I don't know! I know oaks make it hard for anything to grow well under them unless they love acid and can handle the alleopathic effect of oak leaves... but maybe someone else knows?

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”