R33
Newly Registered

Lime Light hydrangea

Does anyone have experience with this variety, in a zone 3-4 climate?

Last year was the first year I tried hydrangeas - one Annabelle, one Endless Summer, one mop-head (I picked up as a house plant and planted outside after it finished blooming - what did I have to lose?) and one Lime Light hydgrandea.

I live in zone 3a, so it's pretty harsh in the winter, but the first three (Annabelle, Endless Summer and even the Mop-head) are all showing buds, albeit from the ground. The Lime Light, which is supposed to be hardy here according to the label, has absolutely no sign of life at all. :(

It looked stunning last year when I planted it. It grew several inches and new stalks after it was planted and had lots of new flowers too. Of all the varieties I planted, I really had my heart on this one as I loved the colour and shape.

Does anyone have experience with the Lime Light variety? Are they late to bud out? Admittedly we did have snow here last week, but with even the mop-head one showing a bud or two, I'm really anxious to see life in my Lime Light. Can someone reassure me (I'm hoping that and patience are all I need. ;) )

Grey
Greener Thumb

I can't reassure you, but just wait and see - it may just be a late starter. Sometimes I think Spring is all about holding your breath to see if some plants come back.

R33
Newly Registered

:D Thanks!

Some things I can be really patient with and I'm happy when they finally show signs of life. I think I'm just antsy because of all the hydrangeas I planted, it's the one that supposed to be hardy here.

I keep checking it - I'm sure it'll pull through. At least I really hope so.

(Remarkably, I have a couple of zone 5 plants that have made it this year - we had a fairly mild winter), so I'm not feeling too badly and am probably just a bit impatient).

Thanks for your reply . :D

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”