pinksand
Greener Thumb

Snowflake Oakleaf Hydrangea

The garden in the front of my house is very boring at the moment. I'll post another thread soon with a photo to get some ideas of what to plant... but for now my focus is the spot beside the driveway where the path begins. The spot receives morning sun (East exposure) and is on an incline (not too steep). I would really like something mid sized that will have visual impact. I love hydrangea and the exposure seemed about right, but my mother-in-law discouraged the idea because she said they are ugly and woody half the year. During my search I ran across the snowflake oakleaf hydrangea which seems to provide visual interest nearly year round. The bloom time seems to be long lived and the leaves change color in the fall.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this hydrangea? The white isn't quite as appealing to me, but it should definitely have an impact. I am considering a knockout rose as an alternative, but am open to any suggestions you may have!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not familiar with that hydrangea, but most hydrangeas provide some winter interest, because they hang on to the dried flowers through the winter.

Other possibilities for winter impact include red-twig dogwood (spring flowers, summer berries, fall color, then has brilliant red stems that are gorgeous against snow), beautyberry (brilliant purple berries that last most of the winter), viburnum (spring flowers, summer berries, fall color, then somewhat interesting bark in winter), nandina/ heavenly bamboo (evergreen). Of course there are the traditional evergreens, juniper, dwarf pine, etc, but I think that's a sort of boring choice. Broad leaf evergreens like azalea and kalmia/ mountain laurel have spring flowers but then stay green all year. A non-shrub possibility is an ornamental grass, like fountain grass or pink muhley grass.

To me, roses are also just a pile of twigs in the winter.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Did you like any of those ideas?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

That red twig dogwood is spectacular in the winter, and would complement our house nicely! I actually just happened to notice beautyberry at the garden center last week and loved it... although the ones they had were $80 :( The viburnum is a good option as well. My mom has a lot of the heavenly bamboo in her front yard that I go over and prune for her, so I'd like something different ;)

I love the idea of ornamental grass as well. I'm hoping to use some in a garden I plan on digging out in our yard next spring... that pink muhly is beautiful!!!

Lol, now I have too many good options! I'll have to browse the nurseries and see which ones they have available... that might make my decision for me!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I get a lot of plants from online/ mail order catalogs. Park Seed has a baby beautyberry for $10 in a 4" pot. That's how I got mine. It is a fast grower, so in a year or two you have a reasonable sized shrub. (Then in a few years you have a monster! The catalog says gets 4-5' tall. Mine I keep cutting back when it hits the roof line. I cut it back to about 3' tall in early spring and it is back at the roofline already. I think next spring I will cut it almost down to the ground.)

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I've always been hesitant to buy plants online, it's great to have a recommendation from someone who has had a good experience with a site!

I'll try to take a photo of the space tonight or tomorrow and maybe that will help narrow down the options. I definitely want something with presence that you'll be able to see from the street since the house is at the top of a hill, but it's not a very large space... I'll measure and post some photos!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Here's a photo of the space... I was particularly thinking of the far right. I'm not sure it will be big enough. What do you think?
[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/pinksand11/Garden/Front1.jpg[/img]

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”