Carol M

Hydragenas

Should I cut back hydrangeas in the Fall =floppyheads. Zone #5. Got lotsa green this year but only 2 blooms. Everyone has experienced unusual weather this year. Thanks for your great help, always!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Good morning, Carol. Normally, you do not have to prune at all. Last time I pruned mine was at least 3 or 4 years ago because they were spreading too much. Is there a problem that you are trying to address?

Also, do you know what variety of hydrangea you have and whether it reblooms? It would help to know the name if you know since it would be fine to prune some varieties in the Fall but not others. For example, macrophyllas (also called mopheads and lacecaps) have already started to produce flower buds in most all locations and I would not recommend pruning in the Fall or you may loose the Spring 2013 blooms. However, reblooming macrophyllas CAN be pruned in the Fall. This pruning would kill the flower buds that bloom in early Spring but you would eventually get new bloomage around June due to their reblooming habit.

If you do not know what type of hydrangea do you have, can you try to describe the blooms or post a picture of the blooms?

TIA, Luis

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”