Laura321

Will my hydrangea bloom this year?

I planted a small hydrangea shrub bought from a nursery in my new garden bed in May. There's been a fair bit of new growth since planting but no signs of flower buds yet. I added compost to the soil not long after planting but haven't don't any other type of fertilizing.

It's in a mostly shady spot that gets early morning and evening sun. Could this be the reason? It doesn't help that we've had an exceptionally cloudy June.

Some potential problems:

There was a couple of days where I wasn't able to water and it wilted but it came back quickly after watering.

When I first planted, I noticed it was pruned so there was a few cut long woody bits protruding quite a bit past the newest leaves. I snipped them shorter. Did that any chance of flowers this year?

Slugs get to some of the leaves sometimes.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

The pruning could have done it. Blooms generally grow at the end of the stems.

If this is a rebloomer, you should get blooms again but it may take a long time (4 weeks or more sometimes).

Then there are some varieties that bloom really late, like in July. Do you know the name of this hydrangea by any chance?

Laura321

Good to know about the pruning. I don't know the variety. I'm pretty sure the tag at the nursery just said hydrangea. But I'll ask next time I'm there. Hopefully I'll see some flowers this summer

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Those unnamed hydrangeas are probably hydrangeas that bloom on old wood. They sell for cheaper prices and I just cannot see a rebloomer like ES put on sale for lower prices as long as their patent is still in force.

Laura321

Does that mean it will never bloom? I think I paid $12 Canadian for it if that helps. Was a small shrub

mtmickey

My hydrangea did not bloom the first year I put it in the ground, but very prolifically the next year. This is it's third year and it is just now getting flower buds

Laura321

Good to know. Thanks!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”