greenqueen

Hydrangea suggestion please

I'm looking for some hydrangea that get about 4 ft tall, and don't flop.
My area gets dappled shade all morning, then from 2-5 gets hot west sun. I was thinking maybe the species type? I know they aren't as pretty but I've never noticed them flopping or flagging in other yards. Does anyone have these who can attest to this?

I have the Oakleaf Hydrangeas near the same area already, so I'm looking for something different.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the lacecaps are really pretty and give a different look from the oakleaf. But hydrangeas in general don't love hot afternoon sun. I'm not expert enough to know if some varieties of hydrangeas will tolerate the afternoon sun better than others. Luis, are you listening? :) (He's our hydrangea expert!)

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, greenqueen. Macrophyllas generally prefer part shade locations that will protect the leaves during the worst of summer sun. But as one goes further north, the leaves can absorb more sun. So, you may be able to plant Mac's under those conditions. For example, my late MIL had a Nikko Blue on a west facing wall in N.H./Mass.

I suggest you experiment by keeping one such shrub in a pot during the summer and observe how the leaves react to the summer sun. You can dig a hole, place the plant (pot & plant both) on the hole, fill the sides with soil and top with 3-4" of mulch. If you see the leaves in direct contact with the sun turning all yellow (including the leaf veins) or turning white-ish in July-August, you will need to try another spot.

Most Macrophyllas begin to have trouble with winter weather at zone 6 temperatures so some of the remontant hydrangeas might fit the bill in your case. Check these families of hydrangeas for shrubs that you like: the Halo Series, the Let's Dance Series, the Cityline Series, the Endless Summer Series, the Forever and Ever Series, etc. The first three have some small hydrangeas. Summer Lace is a remontant lacecap variety good thru Zone 4.

Other oakleafs that you might want to checkout are: Lil Honey, Ruby Slippers, Munchkin, Sikes Dwarf and Pee Wee. Some paniculatas that you could try: Little Lamb, Bobo

An alternative to hydrangeas would be to plant some evergreens in front of the hydrangeas so you will have some visible "green" during the winter months.

Luis

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”