msalcido

Water how often during winter

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic. My question is how often should I water the hydrangeas during the winter? Especially the potted ones in the garage?

I know if it's going to freeze to water, but is once a month OK or should it be more frequent?

Thanks! :D

msalcido

Found it. Once or twice during winter! Thanks Luis! :lol:

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Contrary to what what happened last summer, we are getting rains regularly, every week or every two weeks. This should help you if your potted plants are located where they can get rainfall on their own... meaning you may not have to water them often or at all. Just keep an eye for periods when it does not rain for more than two weeks in a row. Or for windy periods. If it does not rain for three straight weeks, I would water them. Take winds into account if we have windy days.

Our summer forecast still assumes that the La Nina will continue. If they are right, place the pots in sun and wind protected places by May where you can also easily water them. If we get a repeat of last year, we should see 100s by late May/early June again. Sigh.... -wall-

msalcido

Thanks Luis. I currently have the potted plants in the garage, so I take it I should be watering once or twice a week? I moved them in the last time it was supposed to freeze and never took back out. Do you think they will be OK?

The ones planted in the ground, I haven't been watering that often because of the rain we have been getting.

Hope your well!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Luis is way more expert than me, but twice a week watering for a potted shrub dormant in a garage sounds like way too much. Plants don't need a lot of water when they are dormant. I would definitely not water twice a week and maybe not even once a week. Water thoroughly every other week while dormant.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Not twice a week... every two or three weeks: "Just keep an eye for periods when it does not rain for more than two weeks in a row. Or for windy periods. If it does not rain for three straight weeks, I would water them. Take winds into account if we have windy days."

Since it has been pouring since yesterday, wait until the end of the month or a few days before that.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think mike is asking about the ones in the garage, that don't get any rain. But still they are dormant and I would still only water them every other week. The biggest danger while they are dormant and not taking up water is rotting the roots out.

msalcido

Thanks Rainbow gardner and Luis! So I'll water the garage plants every other week. As for the ones in the ground, I haven't been watering because of the rain we have been getting.

Thanks to you both!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”