rosie1320
Newly Registered

healthy plants- no blooms

I live in Indiana. have two healthy plants about 8 years old. planted close to concrete basement wall. have bloomed but less so every year. none so far this year. never prune or fertilize, just water when wilting. any ideas?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, rosie1320. When and how much do you fertilize the shrubs? How much sun do they get? What types of hydrangeas are these? Other questions: Are they supposed to bloom once in Spring or throughout the growing season like the Endless Summer Series? Are flower buds visible in Spring or do you think they are not even developing flower buds? What is the soil pH where these plants are located? Have you checked the soil for problems?

Lack of flower buds would suggest that the plants are being pruned at the wrong time (but you are not pruning), that they are planted in dense shade, that they are not winter hardy in your area, that they are not getting enough moisture during the Fall or winter or that they are getting too much fertilizers... so they stay in "growth mode" during fall/winter and the early frosts kill the flower buds. Hydrangeas are not heavy feeders like roses. In the northern half of the country, a single application of fertilizer in June should do the trick for the whole year. Say, 1/2 cup to a cup of compost, composted manure or cottonseed meal. Or one application in June of a general-purpose slow-release fertilizer like Osmocote (NPK 10-10-10) according to the label directions.

If they develop flower buds successfully, the problem might suggest that pests in your area are eating the flower buds. Some well known hydrangoholics are squirrels, bunnies and deer. Some plants are somewhat winter hardy; they survive winter all right but bloom too early so late winter frosts kill the blooms.

Lastly, some hydrangea that are older than 5 years need to be rejuvenated by pruning the stems in thirds during a 3-year periods. The oldest 1/3 looking stems get pruned to the ground first, then the next third and on year, the remaining 1/3. This is recommended if the other causes can be ruled out, if the shrubs have more than 8 years, if there are no soil/fertilizer problems and if they used to produce normal bloomage for years but have recently started to produce a lesser number of blooms or have recently started to produce blooms of a smaller size.

Luis

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OP said "never prune OR fertilize." In that case, I would guess that the soil is getting exhausted and you need to fertilize some.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

It is possible which is why I was inquiring about soil tests. But not necessary. My MIL has a 10+ year old Nikko Blue that she never fertilizes and it has been doing fine. Alas, not all soils are the same so it would be nice to know if rosie1320's soil is deficient in some minerals now. A soil test can help and should be done with soooome regularity, say every 5+ years or so. Some local nurseries in my area do it for free during the winter months (or you can have one done at your Agric. Extension Service at any time); I guess the nurseries hope that you return the favor by buying from them amendments suggested in the soil test's analysis report.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”