NeedExperience

New plant burning leaves

I have planted my first hydrangea in the morning sun. It gets sunshine from sunrise to about 3-4pm. The leaves on the new plant seem to be browning or crisping? Did I pick a bad spot for this plant? Any other reasons why this would happen? Thanks for the tips

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

It could be insufficient moisture. It causes the edges of the leaves to brown out inwards. New shrubs suffer from this because it is summer, the temperatiures are high, the sun and summer winds help dry out the shrubs and the root system has been cut and is smaller than it used to be. Call it transplant shock.

To help the plant on its first summer, water early in the mornings. Add about 1 gallon of water starting on the base of the plant moving outwards. This makes sure that the root ball get water. Maintain 3-4" of mulch always to minimize waterings. If you insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 4" and it feels dry or almost dry then water.

Many hydrangeas here are suffering from the drought and high temperatures. They need a lot of watering like yours. Just remember to reduce the waterings when Fall temperatures arrive.

If the plant was getting too much sun, the leaves in direct contact with the sun would turn all yellowish or whiteish, including the leaf veins. You could block the sun some... so there is not as much moisture loss as there is now. If the area is windy, you could move it or put a wind block of some kind. It should do better in future years, once it becomes established in your garden and the roots system is "restored".

callamisfit

thank u very much for the info am hoping we get some rain soon what kind of mulch do u recommend to put around it?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Just about any organic mulch will work. Hardwood mulch. Pine bark mulch. Pine needles. Some people even use hay and compost (hay may have weed seeds so be careful). Colored mulch too (for example... red mulch or black mulch).

Note: black mulch may have some problems like dyes that leech compounds containing arsenic; staining after rains or snow; use of dyes that are very chemically reactive (the dyes end up releasing chemical compounds in the soil) etc. soooo I stay away from that mulch but, other people do not mind so... you choose.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

PS - is that a picture of your Black Calla Lilies by your name, callamisfit?

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”