twittel

Deadhead Hydrangea

I searched the hydrangea forum, but couldn't find discussion as to whether or not I should deadhead spent hydrangea blooms. I have a Nikko Blue hydrangea which I think is a fairly common variety. Since I'm new to hydrangae, I'm wanting to deadhead spent blooms, to promote a late season bloom as well as make the bush more presentable.

I don't want to prune the bush, only to deadhead the blooms. Your advice is appreciated.

msalcido

Hi Twittel,
I dead head my hydrangeas once they are brown. Be careful as to where you do it though because you want to make sure you are not cutting off any potential new wood growth where buds maybe forming. I do it right at the base of the dead bloom. I do not believe that NB will rebloom during the season. I have read that the only ones that bloom again (and that dead heading encourages blooms) is on the Endless Summer series.

I have a NB and have only dead headed one of the blooms as the others are still changing colors. Most people leave them on to enjoy the change of colors.

Hope this helps a bit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most woody plants, including hydrangeas, do not rebloom whether or not they are deadheaded. (Except as msalcido noted for varieties that have been specially bred to rebloom.) Most people leave the flowers on their hydrangeas, considering the seed heads which stay on all winter to be ornamental, providing winter interest.

Here's someone's winter garden picture with hydrangea:

[url=https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://viette.indigofiles.com/photo_gallery/december/WinterGardenHydrangea.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.viette.com/v.php%3Fpg%3D468&h=453&w=600&sz=414&tbnid=0AgVXtrspaS7HM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwinter%2Bhydrangea%2Bphoto%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=winter+hydrangea+photo&usg=__18lVSbK_L8DGcIo8xCHT7NWP2r4=&sa=X&ei=TicgTojBOofagQeLgaHkBQ&ved=0CCIQ9QEwAw&dur=3120]winter hydrangea[/url]

in a snowy landscape, it is even more striking, but I couldn't find a picture like that.

twittel

Thanks for the advice y'all. I deadhead most of the browned, spent blooms being careful not to cut below the flower. I did not deadhead expired blooms that have not yet browned-out. Since my hydrangea get too much hot sun, I want to deadhead to make it look neater, so as not to have too many blooms drooping to the ground.

tammysons123
Newly Registered

Spent blooms or deadhead hydrangeas need to be cut when the flowers fade. You can cut the flower stems to any length in June or July without worrying if they will come back next year. In August, deadhead by cutting the stem above the first set of large leaves or by just taking off the bloom. The dead stems should be removed every year. You can do this anytime throughout the year.

In June or July pruning the bush will reduce it's size to better fit its location. If this is not done every June or July, though, the bush will grow right back to it's bigger size.

After the bush is five years old, cut 1/3 of the oldest stems off to the ground each summer.

twittel

tammysons, thanks for the great tip on cutting 1/3 after 5 years. My hydrangea will be 5 yo next fall.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”